1 mtr main fabric
.75 mtr inside fabric
1 mtr wadding
toggle or button
1. Cut a 75cm square (30 inches) from both fabrics and the wadding;
(note: you can make a smaller or larger bag by starting with a larger or smaller square);
2. Place the three layers together and quilt eg a simple grid (note: you can make the bag without quilting the layers or with heavier weight fabric eg furnishing fabric, without quilting);
3. Overlock or zig zag around the four sides;
4. Pleat two ends with box pleats till side measures approx 12 inches across when pleated. (note: the measurement of the pleated edge determines the size of the bag opening - I used a 15inch strip)
If you would like a button and loop ... cut a piece of main fabric 1 1/2 inch by 8 inches for the button loop and attach to the centre of one of these pleated sides;
5 Cut two pieces of fabric from the main fabric 4 1/2 inches wide by the measurement across the pleated ends. Cut a piece of wadding the same size and stitch down one side to hold in place. Sew one of these 4 1/2 pieces along each pleated sides making sure you secure the pleats. (inside view)
Role the wadding and turn under the main fabric to form a padded edging and stitch in place (hand or machine);
6. Now pleat the other two sides as in Step 4;
7. Join a 4 1/2 inch strip of fabric and wadding stitched together along one side to make a circle large enough join to remaining sides and make handles - 75 inches or length desired. Sew this circle onto each of remaining pleated sides creating the handles in between. Cut an additional strip of wadding 4 1/2 inches wide and the length of the handle (alternatively you can use a length of 1/2 inch nylon rope wrapped with wadding) folding this wadding in half, turn under and wrap the fabric strip over the wadding and slip stitch in place to complete the sides and the handle. (Handle pinned in place)
8. Add your button if required.
Your Pumpkin Bag is finished!!! Please bring you bag to the October Meeting for show and tell!!!